Quantcast

Monday, September 26, 2011

A Drink to Comfort - Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

I have the house to myself for a couple of hours and the weather is gloomy and my favorite pinecone candle is burning.  While I gave up coffee on a regular basis a couple of months ago, I still do enjoy myself a cup on occasion.  The great thing about kicking a regular coffee habit is that when you do drink it, when you do need it to work, it does.  So on a morning like today when I'm slow to function, yet when I feel the need for a little comfort, I decided to try out this Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe from Love Veggies & Yoga that Jules found.  Sounds much better than tackling the laundry and the dishes, doesn't it?  It uses pumpkin puree which I think is just pure genius.
I followed her recipe to a T, but instead of warming the milk in the microwave, I first steamed some milk in my lovely Christmas present.  I then had some frothy milk to pile on top of my cup.  I also didn't feel like hauling out the blender, so I just shook up the mixture in a mason jar.  Sort of similar to my chai tea concoction.
While these at home coffee house drink versions are never quite the same, this one is quite good.  I made my coffee extra strong and added plenty of agave to sweeten it up, but it still lacks that certain fake syrupy flavor that sadly, I've grown to love.  When all is said and done though, I can happily give up that fake flavor to save myself almost $4 using ingredients I already have on hand.  Yes, I do have pumpkin puree on hand because I am a pumpkin freak.   
While sadly my house is a mess and there is still plenty of things to do before I have to pick up Syd from preschool, I did plan out my meals for the week and got my grocery shopping done.  This week is all about comfort food and here's what I'm planning to make:

Monday: leftover sliders & sweet potato fries from Saturday's speaker dinner
Tuesday: pork tenderloin medallions with sweet potatoes and apples (a one pot dish that is super easy, maybe I'll share it?)
Wednesday: turkey lasagna
Thursday: leftover turkey lasagna
Friday: turkey chili
(I have a lot of ground turkey in my freezer that I'm trying to use up)

So I know I said just a few hours ago that I was shutting down for a bit, but I wanted to come back and sort of offer a re-do of my last post.  I hope I didn't come across as a downer.  I think I am just so tired and yet so keyed up my mind is racing more than it should.  I'm really hoping that spending time with the kids this afternoon will restore me a bit, I miss them after barely seeing them the last 2 days.  I'm sure that will do the trick.

So come on guys, you're all so quiet out there.  Those that came to Blog Sugar, what did you think?  What would you change for next year and what would you keep the same?  And what was your favorite dessert of the night?!?

13 comments:

  1. strawberry whoopie pie and lemon tartlett + cotton candy = a sugar hangover beyond belief and very happy Amber & baby!
    check out my post at:
    http://sweetpeazcorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing!

    I'm glad you had fun at Blog Sugar. All weekend I was wishing I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was awesome, yes I felt a little intimidated by the presence of so many women but the freindliness from yourself, Rachel and Jen made it much more easy and having my wife and two other friends come along made for a really enjoyable afternoon. I think you guys done a great job with the decor and tables and my favorite would have to be the cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Andrea.. amazing. amazing. amazing. I loved everything from the decor, the food, the conversations with new friends at my table, the photo booth, the speakers. All of it glorifying God and our unique gifts as His children. Thank you for all you did for that spectacular evening. I was truly blessed by it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. blogsugar was lovely.
    really... i can't believe how big it's growing! you guys are awesome to put this on for all of us.
    (ps i loved your dress)
    my favorite dessert had to be those scrumptious little raspberry tarts. oh. my. word. so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gonna blog it tonight. No time to blog during the day with the kids.
    What would I change? Make it a whole weekend--oh wait, did I say that before?
    Favorite dessert? Whoopie pie!!
    Keep the same? Provide a time or place for attendees to pass out business cards. I tried, but it felt so awkward to walk around and say, "can I give you my card?"
    I am so glad I got to come.
    Truly can't wait until next year. There will be a next year, right?
    Love from,
    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy I got to meet you last night. I had a wonderful time. Everything was fantastic! Thanks for putting together an amazing evening. And there is no way I can pick a favorite dessert, they were all too tasty. I was tempted to fill my blog sugar bag full of the leftovers. :)
    Oh, and please do share Tuesday night's dinner. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so a pumpkin freak! I am for sure going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR - I needed this recipe!! And I LOVED BLOG SUGAR! Personally the rice crispy treats were the best ever. Who'd have though something SO simple? My favorite thing was the people I met and the panel discussions, and the decor and the food. So I guess I liked all of it?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Andrea,
    So nice to have met you and hugged you. :) I absolutely loved it. What an amazing night. I am so thankful to you ladies for putting this together and for all of the hardwork that I am sure it involved. I can't wait for next year's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That pumpkin spice latte looks AMAZING. Makes me want a frother, and I don't even drink coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, that pumpkin latte looks so good!! Thank you for stopping by to comment on my blog. I had a most enjoyable time at Blog Sugar. Despite being WAY older than most of the other ladies. It was very uplifting, and the work you ladies did in putting it together was fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so good! Cant wait to try it! love pumpkin everything!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...