Quantcast

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Making Your Own Chai

Oh Chai Tea Lattes, how I love thee. Oh how I hate paying $3.50 for you though at Starbucks. Here's a recipe to make your own chai at home, and stick it to Starbucks at the same time! That alone should make your day.


Ingredients
  • 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk (ever wondered why chai is so sweet, here's your answer!)
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Instructions
Empty condensed milk into a jar or plastic container with tight-fitting lid. Stir in the sugar, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Store in refrigerator.
To use: Brew a cup of strong black tea, such as Assam, then add two heaping teaspoons of concentrate or more to taste. Stir well until concentrate has fully melted.*
To give: Pour into small jars with lids and tie with an attractive bow, or wrap the jar first. Attach a tag with instructions to keep the mix refrigerated and how to use it.
To keep: Store in refrigerator for up to 6 months.
*Sprouts surprisingly didn't have Assam so I just used good old English Breakfast

Look at how thick it is. YUMMM!


I love that you can see all the spiced goodness happily floating around the mug. What kind of spice wouldn't be happy floating around a cup of Chai? BTW, since this is technically the chai spices added to brewed tea, it doesn't quite have the same milky taste as an actual chai tea latte from Starbucks (or any coffee shop for that matter), but trust me, it doesn't matter. It is good just this way. I promise.
ENJOY!

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! Oh, I tagged you on my blog today. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and just saw your white shirt post. Can I say LOVE?! I am all about the white shirt with the fab accessories, and OMG those shoes. Forever 21 here I come!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In it something is. I thank you for the help how I can thank?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I am so happy to find your post on chai! I have lived in Belgium for 8 years and look forward to going to Brussels airport for 2 reasons: catching a flight somewhere exciting and getting a Chai at the airport Starbucks. Every time my husband has to fly back to the US on business, I ask him to bring me back cans of Trader Joe chai. I can't wait to try this!
    Thanks,
    Michelle
    www.gn-st.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...