Quantcast

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

We were all catatonic today. A jam-packed weekend was to blame. On Sunday we were home for a total of 1 hour. I don't like days like that. By Sunday night we were all pleading for mercy and raising a white flag. The weekend hungover lasted through Monday, so during our quiet time when Syd was napping, Taylor and I sat and peeled wrappers off of old crayons to make new ones. We peeled a lot of crayons.

We talked a lot about our favorite colors and why Taylor doesn't think white is an actual color. See that lone white crayon up above? She didn't want to include it in the mix. I then started naming off some of my favorite white things:
Clouds
Marshmallows
Clean, crisp, white shirts
Eventually she came around

We made silly faces at each other

Those fingers were working so hard getting all the wrappers off

We sorted colors. My perfectionist little daughter only wanted to keep like colors together. I understand. I used to be the same way.

But in my old age I am getting wild and crazy you see. The bottom left muffin tin is my creation. She said it wasn't very pretty. Well!

We melted the crayons in a 275 degree oven for 8 minutes

When they came out we swirled some around to mix up the different shades

Taylor told me how they had just made crayons like this in preschool. She loves her new school and that makes me so happy. We started naming off reasons why we love her new school:

"The teachers are very nice" Taylor
"The parents are also very nice" Mom
"We get to do lots of fun things" Taylor
"The parents get to do fun things too like read books and get together to talk about them" Mom
"That doesn't sound very fun mommy" Taylor
"Well it is" Mom
"I have 3 friends in school now" Taylor
"I am happy you are happy" Mom

Once we swirled our colors we popped them in the freezer for 15 minutes to speed up the setting process (we used mini muffin tins too so they would harden quicker)

So pretty. There on the top right is my wild and crazy creation

Then we colored of course

It was one of the best days we've had in a while. I love that little girl so much and can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Andrea, that sounds like the perfect afternoon. I am glad you shared how to make new crayons, we'll have to try that out over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, you can also make them into different shapes such using either muffin tins or ice cube trays (I have some heart shaped ice cube trays I got in the dollar bin at target for example) and they turn out so cute. perfect for treat bags :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...