Quantcast

Monday, March 19, 2012

Prepping for Zombies

Did you guys know I'm pregnant?  Yes, I am, in case you missed it in every single one of my previous posts for the last 2 weeks.  If you haven't noticed, I like talking/writing about the pregnancy and can somehow relate this pregnancy back to everything, including television shows and how the shows I watch are causing me to have those psycho crazy dreams that one only has when you have the flu or are with child.

I promise that soon, as in next week, I will start talking about other things besides this pregnancy and may even have an amazing DIY project (or 2) to share with you that is not pregnancy or baby related.  Yes, it's true, I am hard at work this week on creating about 10 DIY's (psst, hint: NEON yo!) to post next week between this blog and my other blog, which is leaving me minimal time to think of really fascinating subjects to write about besides, well, this pregnancy. 
So does anyone watch The Walking Dead on AMC and/or Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo?  Well I watch both.  And it's screwing with my brain. For the last week I've been having those crazy dreams where you can't tell the difference between your dream and real life.  They haven't really been nightmare like, just creepy and unsettling.  Last night I dreamed we were sitting in a cafe trying to act like the world was not coming to an end, when a few zombies walked in ready to attack.  We casually helped the waiter kill them with a broom and a chair and then we all went back to our business. 
My natural worrisome tendencies thrive off of these shows and I spend idle time at night in bed plotting escape routes and bug out plans in case of Armageddon.  For the record I don't really think that Armageddon will come in the form of flesh eating zombies, really I don't, but the idea is quite fascinating to me and obviously is to many others based off the continued success of these types of shows/movies (28 Days Later, I Am Legend and of course Night of the Living Dead are my favorites).  I do in fact think that something along the lines of Contagion could happen, and of course the uber creepy Children of Men, while may not be likely, is a shit scary concept if you ask me.
Anyhow, I'm rambling here a bit but the point is I'm a sucker for a good Armageddon type of movie or show, always have been, always will be.  They tend to haunt me for days and completely freak me out yet I always come back for more.  Ever since I saw the Day After on November 20, 1983 I have been hooked.  By the way, I was 7 years old when that show aired and I saw it.  Seven!  Why on earth I was allowed to watch a show about nuclear war at 7 is beyond me, but that's besides the point.
So when I discovered that a reality show existed about people that prepare for Armageddon, in whichever form they think it's going to happen, I was all "sign me up!  DVR that thing!"  I've been watching it now for a few weeks and I still can't tell if these people are completely insane or completely brilliant.  Only time will tell I guess.  The vast majority of these "preppers" all live in rural country areas, or they have a "bug out plan" to escape to a secluded country area, completely stocked with supplies so they could be self sufficient and as they say, "live off the grid."  The extent that these people go to prepare is at any rate, impressive.  
Art for the most part thinks I'm insane, but has agreed to follow along with a couple of my plans to "prep" including: investing in a water purification system to turn our pool water into safe drinking water and stocking up on canned and dry foods and fire wood.  He stopped me at gas masks and a drum full of oil.

Overall he sits and mocks these people that prep and plan every spare moment of their day.  But last night as we were watching the season finale of The Walking Dead, and the group got split up during a zombie swarm, he turned to me and in all seriousness said "See, they didn't have a bug out plan.  They should have had a bug out plan so they could be prepared in an event like this."

And just like that, boom!  Fiction collides with reality.  I guess someone was paying attention after all.

Do any of you watch these shows or is it just me?  You guys think I'm completely nuts right?

images 1-3 via AMC; images 4-5 via National Geographic Channel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...