I was planning on posting the linky party tomorrow for the Buy Less Give More February spending recap, but realistically, what was I thinking? I land tonight at 10:30, by the time I get home it will be almost midnight, and will be spending much needed time with my family in the morning. So with that being said, the post and linky will go up Friday, I pinky swear. I do hope some of you will participate. I would love for all of us to share our experiences in saving money, spending more thoughtfully, and giving more fully. It can be just a simple little post, nothing fancy at all.
In the past couple of weeks I have been really thinking about how I can be more intentional with my time and how I spend it. One of my biggest time sucks is this blog of mine. I've never had a hobby that I love as much as blogging, but at the end of the day it is just that, a hobby. I blog at night after the kids go to bed or early in the morning before the kids wake up, so theoretically my blog does not interfere with "family time." But in the last couple of weeks as a few minor domestic mishaps occured having to do with forgotten tickets and lost mail, I realized that in a roundabout way whether I want to admit it or not, the blog does somewhat interfere with family time. At night instead of routinely opening mail, putting away clean clothes, paying bills, and all those other mundane daily tasks, I blog, often leaving these tasks for the weekend. Or early in the morning instead of getting showered and ready for the day before the kids wake up, I blog, leaving us rushed to get out the door in time.
So last week I focused on doing my grown up tasks first and foremost, leaving less time for posting. It wasn't fun, but it brought a much needed amount of peace to our household. We were ready on time and Taylor was at school with plenty of time to spare. A few of the things I focused on were:
- Dishes were done and counters were wiped clean each night instead of in the morning
- Mail was sorted daily, junk mail thrown out and bills marked with due dates
- School papers were sorted through and important dates were marked on the calendar
- Clean clothes were put in their proper spots right away
- Each night I also did a quick sweep of the house and picked up a bit
- I spent any extra downtime I had with my husband, or on the computer doing some research into resources to help Taylor with her reading and completing traffic school
- Before the kids wake up we have been trying to get ourselves ready and have breakfast made
So while blogging is infinitely more fun and self-rewarding then say, paying my bills, a well run household brings infinitely more peace to my life.
All this to say that 2-3 weeks ago, I would have sacrificed sleep tonight to get that February spending recap up and posted tomorrow, and driven myself crazy in the process. But the new grown up me says that I need sleep and rest and family time, so linky parties are going to have to wait :)
How do you find the balance between fitting in blogging, family life, and running a household?
Looking forward to Friday friends!