Quantcast

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Look Good, Feel Good

I read a post a few months ago in Small Notebook where she talked about how she was going to change the way she cleans her house.  Normally she would start with the living areas, then the bathrooms, then the kid's room, until she ran out of time and/or energy, and neglected to clean her own bedroom.  The room where she retreats to every night, the room that is supposed to be her sanctuary, was constantly being neglected.

And it made me think about myself, and how I get ready for the day.  Actually it occurred to me while I was getting ready to host a party a couple of weeks back.  Before I host a gathering, I spend hours cleaning the house, setting up the food, making sure the decorations are perfect, and then 15 minutes before guests are due to arrive, I rush to take a shower, brush my teeth, get dressed, put on makeup and do my hair.  I cannot tell you how many times I have greeted guests with wet hair.  Or spent the first 30 minutes of a party locked in my bathroom getting ready while I put my husband on meet and greet duty.

As the hostess I had crafted a clean house with pretty food and decorations, yet forgot that without a hostess there really is no party.  Sound familiar?

And then this morning as I was getting ready for the day, I thought that this principle of taking care of myself last doesn't just apply to my hostess duties, but to my everyday life.  I promise you friends that my Playgrounds & Lollipops posts are my best days.  I usually dress as comfortably and casually as I can for work, and often go in with a bun precariously placed on the top of my head.  The only time I put on a smidgen of makeup all weekend is to go to church.

Every Saturday I get up, make the kids a special breakfast, get them cleaned up and dressed, clean up the breakfast dishes, make the bed, etc., etc., etc.  And by 9:15 when we need to leave the house to get Taylor to gymnastics, I throw on a pair of sweats, put my hair in a ponytail and rush out the door.  I'm lucky if I have time to put on my contact lenses.  And I usually stay that way all day.  I do refuse to wear yoga pants. ;)

I had been getting ready all wrong though.

We as women, as mothers, as wives, so often take care of others before we take care of ourselves.  We are usually the last to eat, the last to go to bed, the last to brush their hair.  Why?

I changed that today though.  I got up, I made MY bed, took a shower, brushed my teeth and then curled my hair and put on makeup before I took care of anyone else.  Oh, and I painted my nails too.  To go to gymnastics.  Yup.  Selfish?  Vain?  I don't think so.
 Look good, feel good right?

I do know that we as women work hard, in or out of the house, and we deserve to take care of ourselves.  I deserve to take care of me and my appearance.  And you do too. 

So I have a challenge for you next week.  Start off with just one day, or two or three, and get dolled up.  Blow dry that hair, put on some mascara, and get out of the yoga pants.  Maybe put on an accessory or two.  Even if it's just to pick up the kids from school.

I promise you, you will feel better for it.  It'll put a spring in your step.

This morning when I walked out with my hair did, Art said "Hey, you look good."
And I said, "Yup, I know."  How's that for some spring?

13 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more.
    I spend at least 25 minutes each and every morning getting ready. When Frankie goes to her morning nap, K knows that we are marching upstairs and putting on makeup.
    I always feel good, look cute for whatever visitor drops in and I am presenting my best for my kids, the Lord and my husband, who works hard all day and comes home.
    Besides....what guy wants to come home to some ol' hag?? I wouldn't love it if I came home to some stinky person.
    I'm just sayin.

    You go girl!
    And I'm pretty sure you don't take long to look like a model. You're working with a darn near perfect canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so me! I am always last - getting myself ready for parties, for the day - just in general. I always get upset with my hubby who wakes up on sat.am (when not working)and goes for a run,drinks his coffee, showers and then makes the plans for the day. I am still shlupping around in my bathroom trying to drink my coffee and get kids ready! I will take this challenge to put myself first (sometimes) I better start small - starting tomorrow am :)
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. So easy to put yourself last when there's other more important things to do... but I always feel so much better & more confident when I'm put together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's totally not vain to feel good about yourself so you go and keep painting those nails and curling that hair! Working from home I definitely have days when I feel and look like a total bum. I'll have to work on that, thanks for the push : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm taking your challenge. i am in desperate need of it. i was thinking about it this week, realizing the example i was setting for my tiny daughter on how to take care of herself and the example i was setting for my son on how women come last. those are horrid examples to set and i'm totally ashamed by them, but its reality. i want to do better for them and for me! i want to remember that i deserve to look as good on the outside that i feel on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. challenge accepted!
    i had the same feelings last week, and today was the first day i did it. i got ready first!! most days i am scrambling around, trying to "look good" for when my hunnie comes home. today, i was lookin' good before he left AND when he came home. huzzah!
    you're right, even just a cute pair of earrings, and a cool bracelet can make his stay at home blue jeans wearin' mama feel like a million bucks!
    cheers to you and thanks for the challenge!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been trying this for the last 6 months. Some days are better than others, but it does make such a big difference. I've also learned how to fake it on days when I don't have the time I need. Dry shampoo has been a life saver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great challenge Andrea! I really need to step things up around here. I know I feel tons better when I look better. It's funny how I always make an effort when I am meeting with one of Annabelle's Dr.'s because I know that I am given more respect/treated better you'd think I'd want that always from everyone I meet.

    If only I could stop reading blogs and get to bed at a decent time then maybe those dark circles might start to fade :-o

    Looking forward to seeing you later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was great. I don't have kids yet, but I will keep this in mind for later. :)

    I always put make up on, even if only concealer and mascara. I just want to look good for my husband and for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree 100%! I find that when I get dressed, put on makeup and even a spritz or two of fragrance, I am the best version of myself. I feel up to whatever challenges the day might bring. Good for you. Do take care of yourself. It is the best lesson you can give to your children.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, so happy at the response! It looks like we all need the reminder to take care of ourselves, glad I'm not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. good for you! i think we owe it to ourselves to feel special, in what ever way make you happy. i get up 25 minutes earlier that anyone else on the weekdays just to shower, do my hair and make up, and it's all for me.
    Janine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...