Quantcast

Friday, August 12, 2011

Thoughts of the Week - What I've Learned

{this is what I wear when I'm blogging of course! Source}
In the last couple of weeks I've covered eating habits, drinking habits, kids, arm parties, DIY stuff and emotional stuff.  Why not round out the assortment and cover another one of my favorite topics; blogging?  I've been dedicated to blogging consistently for over a year or so now.  While I've learned a lot of different things about myself and others, here are some of the top bits of morsels I can walk away with...

* My favorite posts are not ones I planned out in my head for days, but come to me all of a sudden and are usually written in less than 15 minutes.   

* Food is the hardest thing to photograph.  Seriously, take a look at this rice, and this cantaloupe salad.  I'm no good at photographing food.

* Emotional, from the heart posts will ALWAYS get the most feedback, i.e., comments.  Emotional posts can never be forced though and have to actually come from the heart.  Readers know the difference ;)

* Tutorial posts usually get the least amount of feedback, but the most number of hits.  Go figure.

* If you can spare the dough, hire a blog designer to create your space.  A space you love is an inspiring one.

* The blogging world is an amazingly generous place.  Take a look at this giveaway that some friends of Lara are hosting.  To help her family with the costs of bringing their baby from Uganda home, they're hosting a virtual baby shower and giving away some pretty amazing prizes, including a Canon Rebel EOS camera and a 75-30MM auto focus lens.  With 4 adopted nieces and nephews of my own, adoption is a pretty spectacular thing here in my family so I was more than happy to spread the word about Lara's virtual shower.  Head on over for a chance to enter, but hurry because the giveaway ends this weekend.  

* Lastly on the list today is that I've learned when you don't feel like blogging, simply don't.  Feeling tired, uninspired, or simply unmotivated, just step away and do something that will recharge you and give you back your creativity and inspire you.  For me it's reading, watching movies at night with Art, going out with friends and going to the gym.  I've been doing a lot of all these things the last couple of weeks, which is why I've only been posting 3 times a week.

What have you learned from blogging?

I trust Annie's taste in books wholeheartedly and so when I finished Emily Giffin's series Something Borrowed & Something Blue, I asked her what she recommended.  She told me about Joshilyn Jackson and I started with Gods In Alabama and am now onto Backseat Saints.

Last weekend we watched Morning Glory, which I give two big thumbs up.  Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton and Rachel McAdams are some of my favorites and this movie was just happy.  Happy is good after watching a string of downer or bad movies including True Grit and Dinner For Schmucks.  Anyhow, the lovely Natasha Bedingfiend, known best for Unwritten, sang the title song Strip Me.  It's been on auto play ever since.


And that folks is all I have for you today.  We're off to the Environmental Nature Center in Newport Beach, just Syd and I.  It should be fun.  Do you guys have any fun plans this weekend? 

8 comments:

  1. loved all your points. food IS so hard to photograph. and the best posts ARE the unplanned ones (most of mine unfold during the course of a few hours during the day). but i mostly loved- if i don't feel like blogging, don't! i've been doing that lately, and honestly my last post was ten days ago... but it feels OK to take a break. even if i lose all my 46 readers in the process ;) and since most of my posts are unplanned, i don't feel like manufacturing up something silly and insincere just so i have a post up every few days, you know?

    anyway, i enjoyed this and i'm off to check out the baby shower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea,

    What a nice post. I learn new things from and about blogging all the time, it's always evolving for sure.

    One think recently that's stood out to me is not to worry so much about it and what everyone else is doing. Remembering that has helped me do what is best for me.

    Glad to see you are enjoying it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blogging world is such a weird, fun, glorious space, isn't it? Thanks for reminding me that I don't have to post if I don't feel like it, that it's not necessarily about hits and comments and numbers, but about what we want to share with the world (even if that world is a small one). P.S. After I saw "Morning Glory," I went straight home and downloaded that Natasha Bedingfield song and another one, I think by The Weepies? And I saw "Crazy, Stupid Love" last night. It's pretty cute too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have actually also thought a lot about blogging this week and have so many thoughts in my mind but can't seem to take the time to write them all down. But I will!

    I totally agree to all of the above. When I have opened up and shared my feelings/wishes, I have received the most comments. People want to connect.

    I'm always looking forward to your posts :)

    Senja

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am such a goal oriented person that when I started my blog in January it was simply to get to know my Canon better--but after being a scrapbooker turner digital scrapbooker--I realized I could turn what I did into my yearly album--I started writing things I didn't want to forget and posting more pictures.

    I like what you say about only blogging when you want to--next year that will be the case. I feel like I've made it this far that I can't stop my daily posts--somtimes which is just a picture--goal oriented I tell you!!

    Do you have anyone you recommend for helping beautify your blog's design? I think a happier looking space would be a more inspired place for me: )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love hearing the blog-thoughts of friends. I totally agree with yours!

    Have a fun day, Girlio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this post! And you are so right! Plus your points about blog posts are very useful as I am new blogger and find myself in that "Well what do I write about" state of mind sometimes.
    Thank you! I love your blog!

    PS I totally wear that same thing while blogging! Fancy necklace and all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Food really IS the hardest thing to photograph. No matter how delicious, if often ends up looking like someone's already chewed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...