Quantcast

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Thoughts of the Week - Giving Up the Bean

I gave up coffee this week.  I can't really say I've given up caffeine because I'm surviving off of green tea and iced tea, but for all intents and purposes, my regular 2-3 cup a day coffee habit has been kicked to the curb.  I'm not gonna lie, it's been painful.  I've been exhausted and stabby.  I've continued to exercise but even that usual endorphin rush hasn't done much for my energy levels.  Neither have these green smoothies.  "Try a green smoothie for a pick-me-up in the afternoon."  Total BS.  They do taste good though.  I put a bunch of spinach, some swiss chard if I have enough in my garden, and just whatever fruit I have in the kitchen.  This one has some leftover figs from Saturday night, strawberries and frozen mango.  I've also started using coconut water instead of orange juice to make it a bit cleaner.

Many people have inquired why I've given up caffeine (as a side note, I've also given up red meat but that's another story).  Well, the simple answer is it gives me heartburn.  The not so-simple answer is that I hate having to "need" something every morning.  I hate not feeling like I can function without it.  And you know what else, it makes me feel old!  I remember growing up seeing my parents HAVE to have their morning coffee everyday and I would think "Poor old people, can't even function without coffee, I'll never be that way, I have natural energy."  Oh how smug we are in our youth.  But here I am, so desperate for coffee I'll drive through Shell gas station to grab some cheap ass coffee because I think I need it.  I know it sounds silly but I've never claimed to be rational.  I have decaffeinated in the house for the mornings when I just want the taste of it, and of course I'll still enjoy a Peet's latte every now and then, but I want to drink it because I enjoy it, not because I have to have it.  Make sense?  

Anyhow, enough about my coffee addiction.  Here's a few other pics from our week that helped me not be so stabby :)
From the top:
1. Tomatoes from the garden (Russian Red, Beefsteak and Cherry)
2. Beet Greens also from the garden, sauteed with mushrooms, EVOO & garlic.  Excellent healthy side dish tossed with quinoa or couscous.
3. A twist on the usual spin art; we added small pebbles to make the paint splatter and spread in different patterns.
4. I continue to play with the mantel but I think I've settled on a display I like; just had to move some things around in the house that I already owned.
5. & 6. Beach day with some of our cousins. 

Have a great weekend everyone!

11 comments:

  1. I lived by that same motto about coffee forever. Then I caved about a year ago and there's no turning back for me. I simply love my cup of happy in the morning. Good for you though. I'm sure your body will thank you for it! Love all your pics. Your mantle looks fantastic! You have such a great eye for design. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Andrea! Not sure that I could give up coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've cut down to one cup of coffee a day. I REALLY enjoy my morning cup but my 2nd and 3rd, and my cup at 3pm is gone. I do miss it, but I know it's not good for me.
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you have will power that I do not. I have an unhealthy addiction to Starbucks. We call it my Christian Crack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go girl! I must say I have given up a lot in the last few years (no soda for me) but I can't give up my coffee and not just any coffee...coffee with International Delight French Vanilla...full flavor...not low fat or no sugar. It's my one indulgence...because after my one cup its water...all.day.long. BTW...I love your mantle did you paint the bricks? I am thinking of painting mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. I love this post and can't wait to hear more about the changes you make. I'm sure it will inspire me to do the same--like this post already did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try Teeccino (.com) Herbal coffee substitute, used to sell loads of it in Whole Foods...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! Don't worry, after some time you won't even notice the lack of coffee.
    Lovely pictures by the way!

    xx Grace
    Dream-Boating

    ReplyDelete
  9. this reminds me of my "no-sugar" fast, only longer-lasting. i know for a fact how hard it can be, so i'm impressed with your "stick-to-it-ive-ness" (as my husband calls it). now, a question: can someone fill me in on these green smoothies? there's so much information about them online that i find myself getting overwhelmed and confused. is it just spinach blended together with a bunch of fruits? what are the benefits? help, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! I've given up all but one cup of coffee to give me a kick start in the morning. Otherwise I'd be one grumpy mommy all day!!

    PS I love how your mantel looks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It won't be easy but you can do it. Just think how much better you'll feel once your completely weaned off.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...