Quantcast

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Playgrounds & Lollipops - Maxis For Everyone

{Top: Refashioned from a romper; Tank & Maxi Skirt: James Perse; Sandals: Sam Edelman; 
Necklace: DIY by me; Watch: Michelle; Bracelets: Forever 21}
While this look isn't exactly the most bright and cheerful of summer looks, sometimes nothing feels better than a bit of black, especially for a breezy night at the Hollywood Bowl.  We went to our first Summer Concert Series at the Bowl on Sunday and I wanted to feel comfortable and stay warm.  This soft maxi skirt served the purpose perfectly.  This isn't the typical flowy maxi skirt that I'm used to wearing; it has more of a mermaid feel to it, so I always layer it with a long tank for a bit of coverage.

Before we get off the subject of maxi skirts and dresses, can I just tell you something?  It drives me crazy when petite girls say they can't wear maxi skirts and/or dresses.  YES YOU CAN!  Maxis elongate the frame and actually make you look even taller.  I promise!  In fact I think maxis sometimes look EVEN better on petite girls.  I actually have a difficult time finding ones that are long enough for me and they end up looking like a faux maxi.  In fact I have to wear this skirt super low so that it will trail on the ground just a bit.  Bottom line, petite girls, don't always rule out the maxi.
   
Let's move onto the leopard top.  Anyone remember it from my Shop Your Own Closet Challenge I started a couple months back?  I chopped that sucker in half and landed up with a perfect little layering top.  I'll reveal a bit more of how I hemmed the edges and pinned the back on Monday's post.  I'm really happy with how both the top and shorts turned out.

Linking up with Pretty Shiny Sparkly's Bloggers Do It Better Maxi Challenge

16 comments:

  1. I KNEW that was the romper when I saw it! I still cannot believe you cut it up because rompers/jumpsuits are still in! BUT it looks so good as a flowy, cropped top! I SO agree with you on petite people saying they can't wear maxi's...NOT true! It is WAY harder to find things LONG enough. Happy weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. lookin' fabulous!
    love your re-do of the romper. genius!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw someone wearing a romper the other day and it looked cute, but I think it’s still only working for the younger crowd. I felt way too much like a cougar in this one now, and since I’ve gained about 10 pounds it rides up my you know what and is VERY uncomfortable ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! well, nobody likes wearing a riding romper i guess! :) super fun, making it work in such a great way. you are always such a champion! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was actually thinking of doing a maxi dress post today myself. lol. Great minds! But I love maxi dresses. My only issue with them is that it is impossible to wear one bravely here because the weather is so erratic. It starts off sunny and then an hour later it is like the world is ending. But love how you pair the classic black maxi (every woman should have one), with that revamped/edited romper bodice. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm so glad you said that about maxi dresses/skirts. i kept reading that petite people (of which i am one) shouldn't wear them... but i love mine! glad i continue to wear them loud & proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you look gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You look fabulous!! You have such a nice figure and are totally rockin' that skirt! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a hard time finding long enough maxi skirts too! This one looks stunning on you, especially with the more fitted design with the little mermaid flare at the end. And I completely agree with you, anyone can wear a maxi dress/skirt it is just a matter of figuring out how to work it for your frame. - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this Maxi look on you! The top adds just enough contrast and the necklace is the perfect accessory. You look fabulous as always my friend. Someday I hope to rock the Maxi like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the outfit! You look fabulous! I'm a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hollywood bowl! sounds so wonderful in this great weather with someone special! looking hot, too. i've been sporting my maxis too. bought my first romper ever last week. took it back yesterday. just can't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. sexy skirt ! niiice !!!
    http://likemousseauchoco.blogspot.com/2011/07/bloggers-do-it-better-maxi-skirt.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love that black maxi!
    -Meagan
    http://spunkychateau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE that your maxi is fitted it. Nice change from all of the flowy ones. Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...