Quantcast

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Playgrounds & Lollipops - Rules & Myths

{Blouse: Zara; Shorts: Forever 21; Shoes: Sam Edelman; 
Necklace: Stella & Dot; Watch: Michael Kors; Bracelet: J. Crew; Nails: Lucky Lucky Lavendar by OPI}
I must have been about 8 when I experienced my first lesson in fashion rules and myths.  It was early summer here in Southern California, still a bit breezy and chilly but just warm enough to wear a pair of shorts comfortably.  I slipped on a pair of khaki shorts and paired it with my favorite (and only) Lacoste sweater.  My mom, the bank teller, was ever patient with finding the best sales and managed to score me a white loose weave knit sweater with beautiful primary colored stripes.  We could have never afforded it at full price, but I didn't care.  I LOVED it!  I was a preppy girl's dream.  I think I even sported a pair of knee high socks with the outfit.  I bounced out of the house, ready for my Silver Spoons audition, happy as can be.

My sister, 9 years my elder, abruptly stopped me and declared, "You can't wear a sweater with shorts!  It's summer time, you don't wear sweaters in summer."  But why I begged?  I'm not hot, why can't I wear it?  Thoughts raced through my head; if I really can't wear it until Fall, the primary colors will look all wrong amongst the burnt siennas and emerald greens of the season.  Even at 8 I had figured out there was a color theme to the seasons.  I was heartbroken.  Looking back this all seems very dramatic and silly, but at 8 everything is dramatic isn't it?

There are still countless fashion rules and myths that we hear on a daily basis and have been somehow emblazoned into our minds as law: You can only wear white after Memorial Day and not after Labor Day.  White shoes make your feet look big.  Short girls can't wear maxis.  Black and brown don't mix.  Pleated pants hide a pooch.  And as with this outfit, horizontal stripes make you look, you know, the "F" word.  Well I say, "Screw the rules!"

Wear what you love, what makes you feel good, not what some myth or rule or trend tells you to wear.  It's your body, and it's your money.  When I saw these shorts it was love at first sight.  I loved the bold stripe, the neutral color palette and the sophisticated waistline.  It also didn't hurt that they were $14.  Yes, the age-old fashion rule about horizontal stripes immediately popped into my head, but sometimes you gotta just ignore those voices in your head and go with your gut.    

So tell me, do you abide by the rules or are you a rule breaker?  Linking up to Lindsey's WIWW
*I played around with the Pioneer Woman's Action Sets on these photos, using Lovely and Ethereal on all of them.  They were really easy and user friendly to use and you can download them here.

17 comments:

  1. I have such a hard time with shorts on woman. Mainly because I feel like so many wear shorts that improperly fit them.
    That being said, I really like these on you. When you were wearing them the other evening, they looked perfect for summer lounging, but still sophisticated.

    The pictures are really pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course YOU would be able to pull of bold striped shorts lady!! I couldn't wear these to save my life. I've got the "hips that don't lie" body. I love the outfit though. Summery and stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so great in those shorts. I could not pull them off, but I am not a rule follower. I just know what works for me and what does not...rules or no rules applied. I gave you a big shout out on my wiww post. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautiful and effortless! i'm mildly obsesse with neutrals and whites, the perfect summer outfit!

    i just found your blog through the pleated poppy, and i am now ur newest follower!

    thanks for sharing!

    http://amaryllistruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this outfit!! The shorts are adorable! I found your blog through the blog party at The Pleatted Poppy! I'm one of your newest followers and I'd love if you follow back!!

    Kelli @ loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This outfit is the perfect summer uniform! LOVE the neutrals with the metallic sandals. You look chic and comfy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those shorts!! And long sleeves with shorts is probably one of my favorite styles. I do it all the time.. especially in Cali when it gets a little chilly at night :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great as always! Love the neutrals and the GOLD! I just got a gold watch and I can't wait to get some links taken out so I can wear that bad boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those shorts are AMAZING! And, I love the way you have styled them.
    Ask the Duplex

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the sweet comments. A cpl of you mentioned that you couldn't pull off these shorts, and yes, I guess not everyone can pull these off. It's not about simply ignoring the rules I guess, but also knowing what looks good on you and what doesn't look good and running with that, no matter what the rules are. Make sense? Anyhow, that's my philosophical take on it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love your Playgrounds & Lollipops posts!! you look so adorable in your shorts and that shirt is awesome. Love you!!! You are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post, love your outfit! Also love your jewelry. I have the same watch and necklace, we can be twinsies at blog sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you're cute.

    thanks for the great advice and encouraging words! you always look amazing and have such a sweet face:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. yet again, i love your outfit! those striped shorts are fabulous... and i love the accessories. i have a similar gold watch and i find a way to wear it almost every day... its my fave! i am now following and look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this outfit! Such a gorgeous color combo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those shorts are toooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We break allllll the rules.... Actually, I just started wearing gold and sliver together... I know!!! Can you even believe this outrageous behavior??

    And Ugg slippers with jeans to the market...lol

    oh, and my beach coverup as an actual dress!! shhh!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...