Quantcast

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Frozen Bananas

Growing up in Southern California, we had prime pickings of theme parks to adventure to during the summer.  We never had "annual passes" to any of them and now as a grown up I can appreciate that.  It made the once a year trip to each park that much more special; I could hardly sleep the night before.  The rides were of course always exciting, but I loved the snacks almost just as much.  Funnel Cakes & Montezuma's Revenge always belonged to Knott's Berry Farm, Frozen Lemonades and Colossal always belonged to Magic Mountain, and Frozen Bananas and Space Mountain belonged to Disneyland alone.

After years of loving bananas, my 6 year old daughter is now on a "I hate bananas" kick.  She despises them with a passion, dry heaving each time her 4 year old brother eats one in her presence.  He of course loves them and it sometimes makes snack time more filled with drama than it ever needs to be.  Nostalgic for my childhood's past the other day, I decided that a chocolate covered frozen banana should help the girl change her views on bananas.  Covered in rainbow sprinkles could of course only help seal the deal right?
Nothing fancy was involved, just some ripe yet still firm bananas chopped in half, dark chocolate chips melted over a double broiler, and some toppings of course.
Rolling the chocolate covered bananas in the toppings proved to be a messy affair, so I just started sprinkling them on top after the first try, which worked much better.  Then popped them in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours and you're done. 
Turns out the girl was not converted.  Smart little thing that she is, she simply plucked off the frozen sprinkle covered chocolate pieces bit by bit...
...and did not eat a single piece of banana ;)
Gotta hand it to her, the girl sticks to her guns.

*the Popsicle sticks are from this set here

10 comments:

  1. You have a knack for making anything and everything look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo YUMMY! My oldest doesn't like bananas which I just don't understand. Maybe I should try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!!! I love chocolate covered frozen bananas! I am going to make these for my girls..they still like bananas :) Where did you get those cute holders? Are they just popsicle holders?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same thing in this house, Quinn would eat the whole bag if I let him but Miranda wont touch them. Quinn and Syd should have a banana eating contest...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Katie :) Mel, the sticks are from this set here http://www.amazon.com/Kidco-Healthy-Snack-Frozen-Treat/dp/B0012S9D4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311265678&sr=8-1

    Have fun making these guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Great idea. I can totally see my son doing just what your daughter did! He doesn't like anything. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bailey ate at least one banana everyday from the ages 1-4. She has not touched one in over a year. I think she would probably follow Taylor's example, and just eat the chocolate. But, hey, worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, too funny. Gotta love it when you think you're going to pull a fast one and they end up turning the tables on you, instead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL. I just love your little family. Girl after my own heart! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Muahahah- I want so desperately to make a snide comment, but these look so yummy, I'm distracted by my growling tummy. Mmmmm...YUMMO! I'll have to try this. Luckily-bananas are one of the few healthy foods my girls WILL eat. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...