Quantcast

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mantel Redo Reveal!

The mantel transformation for the holidays is complete!  Let me start by saying that after my Halloween and Thanksgiving transformations, the mantel and fireplace did really start to grow on me.  I promise I was no longer complaining about it.  But when I showed Art a picture of the above wreath in the Target catalog, he said "It's nice, we should paint the fireplace and it will really stand out."  It took me about 2.5 seconds to say "Okay!".

We started by priming the bricks one by one by hand.  After about 1 hour we realized that we were getting nowhere fast.  So he ran out and picked up a paint sprayer.  Since we already had an air compressor, the expense was not as much as you'd imagine (we already had primer on hand).
The sprayer cost about $70, plus a gallon of paint.  Total fireplace redo= $85 
Once we had the sprayer we had the job done in about an hours time.  The most time consuming part was taping and prepping the area to spray.  The spraying only took about 10 minutes.

For the Christmas decor I was going for a natural woodsy feel with the berries, garland and pine cones, which have been collected by the kids over the last few years, and I save them away with our Christmas stuff.  The only thing I purchased this year was the wreath because I loved the color and the size, but in actuality it could be even bigger. Now with it painted, the fireplace looks huge!

I wrapped boxes in burlap and hot glued them down (tape would not do!), and then wrapped them in bakers twine.  I put some moss in little votive holders, and to add a punch, covered mini pine cones in Martha Stewart glitter.  The fireplace screen is from Restoration Hardware and we've had it since our old house.  We took it with us because I knew I'd be able to use it again eventually.  My favorite part of the entire mantel though is the fresh garland.  I work very close to the Downtown LA florist mart, and I picked up 75 feet of garland for $50 yesterday on my lunch hour.  I am covering the house with the stuff!  

And that's about it!  I love it and got the biggest smile on my face when I woke up this morning and saw my pretty new mantel.  Too bad I won't be able to enjoy it for a couple of days.  I leave for New York this afternoon and when I get back on Thursday night, we turn around and leave for Mammoth for 5 days!  Please say prayers for safe travels as I leave my babies.  I always get so nervous!  
Wishing everyone a wonderful week and a great start to the Christmas season! 
p.s. In case you were wondering about the stockings, it's tradition in our house that we don't hang them until Christmas Eve so Santa can fill them with goodies

30 comments:

  1. shut the front door! it looks fantastic. love the burlap. love the twine. love the white! fabulous job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fantastic. My favorite part? The brass screen disappeared! And I bet that cost the most, right?
    Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing transformation! I love it! I'm trying to convince my husband to paint our fireplace bricks too... Good tip about the sprayer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I am impressed, it looks absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous! Love love the mantle painted and the way you decorated it....:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the white mantel with the Christmas decor. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. amaaaaazing transformation! i love the white! i have had my eye on that target wreath, you've inspired me to just go buy it now:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your wreath is beautiful and I love the white! Awesome mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fantastic Andrea! Did you just take out the old fireplace insert or did you replace it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! Found you from the holiday mantel party - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, it's wonderful! It was pretty before, but it just looks so elegant now! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the after! Thanks for posting this to the linky. I have some similar glass thingies with pinecones, and I've been thinking they need a little something else. I think i am in love with the berries and snow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job! Great transformation!! The wreath looks really great, love the owl too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How gorgeous!! I love how the greenery pops against the white fireplace!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great Andrea! Have safe travels in New York and Mammoth!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am LOVING your mantel! So very pretty.

    Londen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous. It turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhhh, I love it! Especially the cedar garland against the white! How did you hang it by the way?? Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW!!! What an impressive transformation, I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can imagine how excited you are to get rid of the old look of the fireplace. We were all getting tired of hearing about it. Kidding! The new style looks fabulous! You'll have fun decorating it with that clean background.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to say I am totally Team White...gorgeous lovely lady!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks great! Found you at the linky party! I just gave my fireplace a white facelift too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks fabulous! Any regrets about painting it? We keep wavering and haven't took the plunge, though I hate how our fireplace currently looks. Only thing holding me back is that there's an internal red brick wall in an adjoining room that matches the fireplace. But the fireplace would look so much better white!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...