Quantcast

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentine's Day Projects/Decorations

I finally got my act together and decorated for Valentine's Day with some of my homemade craft projects. They were all very easy in concept, although a couple of the things were time consuming.

The first thing I tackled was this felt heart garland. Because I wanted different sized hearts, I had to run a straight stitch through the middle of the hearts, as opposed to the tops, but I actually don't mind how it came out. Kind of gives it more of a handmade feel I think. I may be wrong, but go ahead and let me believe that :)



The next project was this burlap wreath. After making the first one I became obsessed and made 4 more to hang on all the doors in the house! The best part is that it's a no-sew project, but burlap does make a mess! Wait, the even better part was that I made 4 wreaths for $1.89!!! Burlap is super cheap and when you use your coupon from Joann's, even better.

Visit Craftaholics Anonymous for the tutorial. I saw her note on how to make less of a mess with burlap after I already cut my strips. So take note, dampen your burlap with a spray bottle first before cutting for less fuzz and mess. I also made the first wreath that's hanging on my door using her method of cutting the wire into two pieces and then bending them together, but I don't suggest this. It hangs a little wonky and I had to actually tape it down to the door a bit. Your best bet is to just bend your wire coat hanger into submission all in one piece. You will need pliers and wire cutters though to twist the ends together after stringing on the burlap and then to cut off the ends so they're not so much of a poking hazard. I used 4 2 inch strips for each wreath. I actually used about 6 strips for the one on the front door which is why it looks so full, but then started to run out of burlap for the remaining 3. Like I said ladies, $1.89 made me 4 wreaths!



Next thing on the list, was making these Valentine's pouches for the kiddos. I got the idea from a Pottery Barn one and decided, "I can do that!"

Taylor's is a little fancier with the rick-rack trim


We're filling the pouches with little notes and goodies each morning and the kids are so excited to check their pouches each day. It's like Christmas stockings! We're keeping it simple with handmade notes and treats we have laying around the house, but they don't seem to mind. A treat is a treat!


Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Nice Job! Love the burlap wreath - did you following any directions? I'd love to try one, but couldn't imagine just winging it. The pouches are super cute too, I got an OLD sewing machine - now I need to figure out how to use it so I can come sew with you.
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'm doing a similar Valentines Day garland, but sewing it. And I thought I was so original... oh well!
    See you at Blog Sugar :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...