Quantcast

Friday, February 26, 2010

Playgrounds & Lollipops - Friday's New Feature

Hi friends! Welcome to the preview of my new Friday feature here at Four Flights, which I'm naming Playgrounds & Lollipops. Each Friday I will highlight my favorite outfit of the week. The outfits for the most part will be perfect for mommy wear in that they are functional, comfortable, somewhat fashionable, and relatively inexpensive so that you won't mind having apple juice and ice cream spilled all over them.

I want to thank my friends Sarah and Miranda for encouraging me to do this, because I have had the idea for months now but was too chicken to try it. In talking to both of them, Miranda said "You do have a background in fashion, it's not like you're some random person." That was like a Ah-Ha moment for me that gave me the confidence to try this.

Until last year, I have spent the last 9 years of my life in the fashion industry (11 if you count working retail). I worked for the largest Women's RTW wholesale vendor for Saks, Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom. I got to play dress-up everyday and wear skirts and pretty dresses and heels, my favorite fashion accessory.

Now though my days are spent running preschool drop-off and pick-up, going to the playground or community garden, mommy and me classes, and occasionally my husband's office. Not a whole lot of opportunity to wear pretty dresses and heels.

I love the style blogs, my favorite being What I Wore featuring Jessica Schroeder. She is just too cute for words. Here, I want to take the same concept, but like I said, feature outfits that are a little more suited for a mom's life, especially a mom with a 2 year old and a 4 year old!

I hope you enjoy this little segment, and please take it with a grain of salt. I am not trying to tell anyone how to dress here. I do not profess to be on the cutting edge of fashion. Long gone are the days where I could look at a Vogue and depict which dress was which designer. I just like to be put together, and when I am put together I feel GREAT!

A couple of points to consider:
  • ballet flats are my best friend
  • aside from a couple of boutiques I frequent (Tullemoss, Denim Bar and Madison Bleu), most of my clothes are pieces I can grab quickly while on the go with the 2 kids, usually while I am already shopping for them, i.e., Gap, Nordstrom, Banana, Old Navy, Forever 21. I don't take leisurely shopping trips by myself is what I'm trying to say.
  • I'm cheap as all get out! Usually the most I will spend on an item is $35/$40, but most of my items are in the $20 range. I do splurge on some purchases like boots, jeans and outerwear.
Oh, and I also think it would be fun to not just feature my outfits, but yours as well! I can easily name about 10 other mommy friends that have rocking style and would love to highlight here.

Have fun and I hope you appreciate the goofy pictures. This was my first time doing this and I felt like a complete DORK! Thanks Art for taking some great shots though.

Now on to the pictures...

When:
February 24th, 2010

Where:
Preschool pick-up and drop-off, Art's office, parent meeting at school

What:
Shirt: Gap
Sweater: Nordstrom, Brass Plum dept.
Jeans: Jo
Belt: So old I can't remember
Necklace: Vintage lucite chain thrifted for 50 cents! (thanks Rachel!)
Boots: Sam Edelman

Why:
I wanted to update this blouse I've had for a couple of years and I just loved the way the teal offset the plum colored flowers of the shirt. Whenever I'm feeling like my outfit looks a little sloppy though, I add a belt around the waist and it immediately transforms the look. These jeans are a bit big on me now, but I roll them up a couple of times and I've got an instant Boyfriend jean without having to go get a new pair. And the boots I just love! Got them on sale last year and wear them all the time. They came distressed so you can never tell if I've been walking through puddles, or have had applesauce spilled on them. Although if you look closely you can see some mud on them from my last visit to the garden.
*Oh, and please excuse the chipped polish. I was going for the fresh out of rehab Lindsay Lohan look!

13 comments:

  1. congrats! so proud of you!its awesome and i will be a devoted reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute
    love this idea
    love your outfit
    gosh, i wish i had your height!
    love the boots too
    happy weekend andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it!
    The necklace it so fab I want it now. And by the way I think you can tell people what to wear - this is your blog - tell it like it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at dork... totally cool! I really like the idea. I am a fashion don't, almost every day. I choose comfort over style hands down. but lately I've been wanting to amp it up a bit...look my best. When I look good, I feel good, and then I act better. It's just truth. Anyway, i'm excited to get some practical, cute ideas. You know who will drool over this?? Janna, 2cool4myminivan. She's a fashion DO every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great feature mama! :)
    YOu are not a dork, you are super cute. Own it.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look hip and stylish. I think I'm going to enjoy this little segment of yours. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun new feature. Glad you decided to run with it. I look forward to seeing what's new in Mommy Fashion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Everyone! Sorry I've been MIA; we were up in Arrowhead over the weekend in a cabin with no internet. Thanks so much for the positive feedback on the new feature :) I am really excited about it and hope you all enjoy it. I really appreciate the encouragement and comments so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE it! I am excited to read even if I am not a mommy! You know i am a fashion addict. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new feature! It is great.
    I love the boots and the necklace is fab. Food and fashion are my two favorite things. I will be definately be reading this segment.

    We need to go on a fun shopping trip soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea, love the outfit! And love being reminded that it actually is easy to look put together...even for a Mom! Quick question, you're tall, so where do you turn for jeans/pants that are long enough? I'm 6' tall, & have the hardest time. I feel like I need to break out of the Gap rut. Take care of yourself & the family & good luck with the blog. Doing great so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Margot, thanks for stopping by! For jeans I have found that Jo's Jeans are plenty long for me. You can get them all over online, or Nordstrom. They are the most comfortable I have found, and while they are a low rise, they are not so low I show my undies when I bend over. I splurged on my first pair and bought them at full price, but then found out that Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack usually always have styles on sale. My favorite is the Rocker style. I learned my lesson about buying Gap jeans...tried 2 pairs last fall to try and "save money" but they ended up shrinking up and being so short after a few wears that I gave them away. For pants, Banana Republic's length seems to work for me. Wearing a pair right now that are plenty long. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...