Quantcast

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Lost and Found - Songs of the Season

{what a magical scene - source}
Yesterday I lost my wallet somewhere between Hot Dog On a Stick and Aaron Brothers.  My husband bought it for me 5 years ago this Christmas and I discovered it was gone when I went to buy tickets for us to see A Christmas Story at our old local theater.  While Art and the kids went inside to watch the movie, I was stuck in the bathroom calling each place I had visited, to no avail.  No one had found the wallet.  I then started the tedious task of cancelling all our credit cards. 

Three hours later I retraced my steps and went to Aaron Bros, even though they had already told me they didn't have it. I walked in and the manager saw me and said "Hey you left your wallet!" I screamed,cried, and ran around the counter and hugged her I was so happy at the very unexpected news (I probably have problems respecting people's boundaries but she didn't seem to mind). So thankful for small miracles, we went out and celebrated.

On the way home we drove through the neighborhood listening to Christmas songs on Kost 103.5 and looked at Christmas lights.  Harry Connicks' version of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer came on and we loudly sang in the car.  The lost wallet incident reminded me to celebrate the little things, be thankful for everything, and appreciate all this season has to offer, especially 30 days of Christmas songs on the Kost.

I know some grow tired of Christmas songs by December 1st but I am a complete sucker for Christmas songs, and I keep a stack of our favorite CD's readily available to play in the house and the radio doesn't leave Kost from December 1st till January 1st.  I thought I'd share my top 10 (okay maybe top 15 because 10 is really hard to choose) Christmas songs of all time, and would love to hear some of your favorites.  With thousands of songs out there, and hundreds of different versions of some favorites, it's always fun to discover a new gem.  So please share in the comments!  So here goes...

15. Winter Wonderland - Lena Horne's version 
14. Little Drummer Boy - Bob Seger's version
13. This Christmas - Donny Hathaway
12. Jingle Bells - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' version
11. Rocking Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee's version
10. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer - Harry Connick Jr's version
9. Winter Wonderland - Eurythmics
8. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - U2
7. Last Christmas - Wham, but Taylor Swift's version is a good rival to the original
6. O' Holy Night - Bing Crosby
5. Silent Night - Frank Sinatra
4. The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole's version
3. White Christmas - Bing Crosby
2. Baby It's Cold Outside - Zooey Deschanel & Leon Redbone
1. Do They Know It's Christmas - Band Aid



I know this song may be a bit of an unconventional choice, especially for #1, but this song above all others still gives me chills every single time I listen to it. I think it has a lot to do with strong, vivid memories of hearing this song over and over again while growing up, and the fact that it had almost all of the top British icons singing in it at the time.  George Michael, Sting, Boy George, Phil Collins on the drums.  The only thing that could make this song better is if it had Morrissey in it.  One other note, four of my favorite songs all came from this Old Navy CD I bought in store years ago.  A completely random purchase but a good one and we've listened to this CD at least a hundred times over the years.  It's still available, so maybe give it a try!

Well it's the week of Christmas and I hope you are all not stressing too much and are enjoying this very special season.  My shopping is done so it's time to really sit back and relax a bit this week.  I'm looking forward to it!  Happy Monday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...