Quantcast

Monday, November 14, 2011

The Rundown

I'm baaaack!  Thank you to all you very nice, nice people that left me such encouraging and awesome comments on my last post, and that sent me emails and texts offering up encouragement for the weekend away at Camp Mighty. 

The more hours that pass, the more I think back and realize I did enjoy myself.  As of yesterday I was answering anyone who asked me how it was by saying "I liked it a lot, but I didn't love it."  After reflecting a bit I'm starting to love it more and more. 

First, the location, the Ace Hotel, the events, parties and dinners were great and overall well executed.  There were a  few hiccups, but after recently organizing a 1 day blog conference myself, I realize hiccups always happen and the organizers pressed on beautifully.

The speakers were incredible, truly they were.  Lisa Congden and Brian Piotrowicz were my favorite by a mile and I found their talks both inspiring and uplifting.  Lisa managed to reinvent herself at the tender age of 37 and is now an accomplished and amazingly talented artist.  Brian spoke about intentionality, something I try to always keep at the forefront of my mind.

I'll be straight up honest though, it was exhausting at times because the overall vibe of the conference, centered around the life list, was about going forth and making your dreams happen, accomplishing, doing.  Art quickly reminded me last night as I was regurgitating this feeling that it was called Camp Mighty after all.  Touche.  While a talk would rev me up, I also had to center myself several times and remind myself that I quit my job 6 months ago to be with my kids.  To be a more present mother and wife, to in fact be the best wife and mother I could be, and if I could be a good global citizen at the same time, then great.  But this conference was heavy on the doing and light on the chill factor if you know what I mean.  It was also heavy on mixing and networking.

I've always worked in sales and so the networking part didn't scare me and I think overall I fared well.  I walked up to complete strangers and struck up conversations several times and 99% of the time conversations were reciprocated and I got to know some very lovely and awesome people.  There is sadly though always an icky side of networking.  It only happened a couple of times, but that awkward moment did happen when you meet someone, and upon realizing that you are small time and that you in fact probably can't help them with something, they quickly turn on their heels and walk away.  Ickiness.  But network ickiness can happen anywhere, so this conference itself can't be blamed.  Several times when the self doubt snuck in, I reminded myself that back home, I am pretty spectacularly big time.  I am downright freaking awesome and I thought a lot about the post Ashley wrote last week about building a name for herself.  When I read that post last week it hit me in all the right places.  Such a good reminder to us mothers to keep our eyes on the ball.

With all that being said though, I was inspired, more inspired than I've been in a long time.  Without even intending to, I was slammed with a bunch of pretty cool ideas that I want to launch on the new style site.  Yes friends, I am still going forward with the style site but have been patient in deciding on a name, designer, etc.  I finalized a name though and bought the url!  It's a top secret surprise though!  The lovely and talented Tristan from Besotted Brand is helping with the design and if it weren't for her impending nuptials, after this weekend I'd be breaking down her door asking for my design :)   I will be patient though, but eek, I'm excited!

So the takeaway from all this, I loved the conference overall for the simple fact that it was a great reminder of how awesome my family is.  When you're presented with a band and free booze, and you'd still rather be with them, well then you know you have something special ;)  In their eyes, I will always be big time.  But seriously, I had a great time and am so glad I went.  What did you all do when I was away?  Anything fun this past weekend?  I'm tired of blabbing on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...