Quantcast

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thoughts of the Week - Comfort Food

There are some weeks when certain things just stand out at you and then there are some weeks when it all just seems to be a blur.  It's been one of those weeks.  I think a full weekend schedule of events falling into Halloween just sort of all blended together to lead me to today.  Today was a good day.  I got up early, filed 2 huge stacks of paperwork that's been on the floor, precariously strewn next to my desk for over 3 weeks.  I cleaned the house and finished sweeping down our patio from the tell tale dust of vicious Santa Ana winds.  I baked 2 loaves of bread (1 pumpkin and 1 gingerbread) and lit a candle.  I sat down and thought to myself, I feel at peace in my home right now.  But holy shit am I tired.  Dead damn beat tired.  So I don't have a lot of really thought compelling "thoughts" right now.

We've been working hard on our home these last few weeks which has a lot to do with the tiredness, and I think I'd like to share some pictures with you all next week, starting Monday perhaps.  All this hard work in our home though has made me turn to food, in a good way, in that "a piece of pie would sure settle my nerves right now" sort of way.  Oh come on I know we all have some type of food(s) that we turn to when we need a little comfort.  And not just comfort from sadness, but comfort after a hard days work when you need something that will just make you feel good.  I've been cooking a lot, and eating a lot :)  I have a list of comfort food that includes:

French Fries & Hamburger from In 'N Out
Banana Cream Pie from Polly's Pies
My Grandma's Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Tater Tots & Fish Sticks
Brie, Salami & Crackers
Peanut M&M's & PayDays
Chicken Pot Pie
is this a weird list?
{cinnamon crispas}
Oddly enough, cinnamon crispas, while some may not consider quite comforting, are in fact a comfort food for me.  A bit indulgent, flour tortillas fried in oil then sprinkled with good ol' granulated sugar and cinnamon.  But not so indulgent where you end up hating yourself the next day.  It's supposed to be comforting remember, not hail Mary guilt inducing ;)  So I whip up these little beauties when I want a bit of a naughty snack...so for my thought this week, I think you should fry some of these cinnamon crispas up for someone you love, or you, for that matter.  Fall is in full swing and nothing reminds me of fall more than some good strong cinnamon.  These guys are both savory and sweet.  And yes, these were in fact inspired by the cinnamon crispas found at Taco Bell long, long ago.  I haven't set foot in a Taco Bell in years but I hear they're now called cinnamon twists or something similar to a churro of sorts.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I hear these type of cinnamon crispas are gone.  I always found it interesting how Taco Bell was able to make about 35 different things on their menu, all with the same 5 ingredients.  Weird actually.
 Just cut up a few flour tortillas in 1/8th's
 Fry them up in a few tablespoons of vegetable oil ( a few seconds on each side is all you need)
 flip over and fry a few seconds on the other side
place fried tortillas on a paper lined plate to soak up the oil and sprinkle with a cinnamon sugar mixture
and you've got your self a savory and sweet treat
So what are your go-to comfort foods?  Are they usually things you make yourself, or do you go outside the home for your comfort?
linking up with Mom Trends Friday Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...